Last night I was having a chat with my kids about their list of “favourites” – colour, animal, supper etc etc. They were loving the game and I had to keep coming up with new categories…
Today’s post is all about my son’s favourite holiday!
Yes, Grootbos Garden Lodge is one of our favourite family getaways – for both us adults and our kids alike. (Click this link to see my previous posts about our wonderful holidays at Grootbos.)
Grootbos Nature Reserve, with its two 5-star lodges and luxury accommodation, is situated among the fynbos and milkwood forest overlooking the beautiful Walker Bay. This multi-award winning 2500 ha reserve is home to more than 740 different species of plants and offers warm hospitality, delicious cuisine and plenty of family-friendly fun.
We all LOVE our time at Grootbos for a variety of reasons but here are some of the highlights for our kids are…
- Horse rides in the paddock. (kids older than 12 can go on outrides)
- Treasure hunts in the forest.
- An outing to the nearby Klipgat Cave and exploring the beach.
- A 4×4 Flower safari in an open-top Land Rovers with a very knowledgable and friendly guide.
- Whale watching (from July – December) – either landbased or on a boat!
- The well-equipped kids entertainment room with DVD’s / puzzles/ foos ball/ pool table
- Help to feed the horses and other farm animals.
- The delicious children’s menu.
It might be cold and wet but one of the best seasons to visit Grootbos is in winter! The reserve comes to life with the vibrant colours of the blossoming fynbos and the coastline is alive with marine activity especially the Southern Right whales of Walker Bay – breaching, lobtailing and displaying their many other tricks.
Grootbos is the perfect winter venue for a family holiday, with a number of unique experiences to enjoy during the day, not to mention the delicious, gourmet food and the welcoming warm fires in your room at night!
Now you can see why Grootbos was my son’s answer when it came to his favourite holiday! Grootbos is a truly unforgettable adventure for the whole family.
I’m so very excited to be giving away a wonderful 2 night stay for a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) at Grootbos today! What an amazing prize for one lucky family to enjoy this winter (valid Jun – Aug 2014)!! *
THIS COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED
Now because I want every family to be able to enjoy a stay at Grootbos. I’m pleased to tell you that there are some amazing winter specials currently on offer for June – August! From R2 490.00 per adult and R840.00 per child per night sharing.
To find out more click on the links below…
Grootbos Winter Special (2 people sharing)
Grootbos Family Special (4 people sharing)
Plus if you book for 3 nights or more they will give you a free whale watching trip for the whole family!
- Accommodation in freestanding luxury suites
- Welcome drink served upon arrival
- Fresh fruit daily in suite
- Light lunch
- 5-course dinner
- Breakfast buffet with full English breakfast menu
- Stay for 3 nights and the whole family could enjoy a free whale watching boat trip!
- Exploring of the inter-tidal zone
- A day in the life of a Strandloper
- Treasure Hunt through fynbos and forest
- Pony rides in paddock, under supervision. The emphasis of this experience would be both recreational and educational, with the younger kids being introduced to horses and riding.
- Horse riding on reserve for kids older than 12. For the older kids, a one hour guided riding experience on the reserve combined with an introduction to our unique fynbos environment.
- Spot the bird / tree / flower, etc. (various levels for ages). Certain of the more common and easily recognisable bird and plant species will be given to the younger age group to spot and identify (under supervision of a guide) and for the older group, we will add a few of the more challenging species.
- Nursery tour, learning to plant own seeds/ cuttings, etc. Our nursery is an ideal environment to not only explain this to the kids, but to give them the first hand experience of planting their own seeds / saplings.
- Videos / DVD’s on bad weather days (animations and nature documentaries)
- Making an artistic representation of the day, using natural resources collected during the day. During the day, the kids will be encouraged to collect materials from the various environments through which we take them, and then incorporating these into their own story / work of art to represent their day.
- 4×4 Drives in open landrovers.
- Children are welcome to help feeding our horses and farm animals, i.e. pigs, bunnies etc.
- Babysitting service is available.
- Horse riding for non- and experienced riders through the reserve (please note that the weight limit is 90kg/198lbs per person/ children under the age of 12 are only allowed on guided pony rides)
- Guided Walks including fynbos nature tours and Milkwood walks
- Nature, marine & coastal drives and walks including the Walker Bay Nature Reserve, De Kelders cliff walk, Klipgat Cave combined with seasonal land-based whale watching (whale watching especially during June – December)
- Bird-watching; experience a great variety of bird species on the reserve
- Various maps of the reserve and the area for self-guided walks
- Transfers to/from all activities
* Please note that by entering any Becoming you competitions you are giving permission to receive a monthly e-mail newsletter from Becoming you.