We checked in and collected our keys at the main manor house which allowed us to get a sense of farm life back in the 1800’s. Heading back to our car we watched the resident ducks and squirrels running along the oak lined pathways between the converted farm buildings housing two of the eateries on the estate and planned to be back the next morning for breakfast and a brief estate tour.
After a short drive through pastures and past fruit orchards, we arrived at Fortune, located about 2km from the main farmstead. This stylishly simple converted labourers’ cottage has a contemporary farmhouse feel, a fully kitted kitchen, outdoor dining area, braai and small lounge area. This particular cottage has 2 bedrooms and shared a bathroom but there are others that each have an en-suite bathroom.
I loved the relaxed atmosphere that made me feel at home immediately – probably helped along by the complimentary bottle of Boschendal wine. The cottages are located close enough for a large extended family or group of friends to each book one easily congregate for socialising together or retreat to the privacy of your own space when it all gets too much.
The surrounding farm paths, trails and single track offer an abundance of outdoor activities plus all the cottages have access to a large shared swimming pool that was a bit too cold for me to try but looks like it would be very inviting come a piping hot summer’s day in the winelands.
After dropping off our bags and having a quick change, it was time to meet up with the rest of our blogger group and we made a quick dash back to Franschhoek for supper – which fortunately meant we were treated to this splendid view of the Franschhoek mountains at dusk….
The next morning we headed back to the heart of the farm and enjoyed a delicious deli breakfast before heading off on a tour of the rest of the estate.
We discovered that Boschendal has recently revamped almost 22 cottages on the farm and now offers an abundance of accommodation offerings. The Werf cottages have stunning views of the surrounding mountains and are located within walking distance of the historic werf of Boschendal including the Boschendal restaurant and Deli, manor house and garden. These cottages are also booked exclusively for anyone who reserves the beautiful new wedding venue…
Boschendal really has a wonderful variety of things to do on the farm. Day visitors can enjoy one or all of the following activities:
- The rich historical heritage that is the Boschendal Manor House – a national monument – one of only a few original Cape farmhouses that have been restored and furnished according to old inventories. 09:30 – 17:00 daily
- Wine tasting of award winning wine where you will learn more about wine and some stories of the people that shaped Boschendal. 10:00 – 16:30 daily
- Vineyard and Cellar Tours. 11:30 (November to April weather permitting)
- The internationally acclaimed rose garden, designed by Gwen Fagan, features many of the original roses that were cultivated at the Cape and in the East Indies.
- The kitchen garden is currently being revamped and come summer will be well worth a visit.
- The farm shop & deli is a relaxed and child-friendly environment in which to enjoy a delicious breakfast, a light and seasonal lunch or an afternoon tea. Open 7 days a week 08:00 – 18:00
- Boschendal picnics are a Cape legend. During the summer months the Boschendal gardens provide the perfect setting for a picnic lunch under the trees. Booking 24 hours in advance is essential.
- A bio-friendly food experience at The Werf Restaurant situated in the beautifully revamped original cellar of the Manor House, the focus is on presenting innovative country-style cuisine using the best of available local, seasonal and ethically-sourced ingredients. Reservations essential. Lunch: Wednesday to Sunday 12:00 to 14:30. Dinner: Friday and Saturday 18:00 to 21:00
Only an hour’s drive from Cape Town, Boschendal cottages are an ideal base for a weekend getaway or romantic retreat in the South African winelands.
Tel: +27 21 870 4290
Tel: +27 (0) 21 870 4210/11
The Restaurant & Picnics
Tel: +27 (0) 21 870 4272/3/4/5
Events & Weddings
Tel: +27 (0) 21 870 4293