When it comes to fashion, an item I have been hankering after for quite some time is a leather biker jacket. I take quite a few tips about what looks good and which items to add to my wardrobe by following some of my fave celebs, especially those that are also moms, and after seeing this particular item popping up quite a bit I added it to the top of my shopping list – except it’s not always that easy to find the perfect leather biker jacket when you need one!
Until yesterday…. yes I popped in at Edgars in Canal Walk for a spot of retail therapy and there it was! Hanging innocently on the Tom Tailor rails as I walked past. I had got a bit sidetracked by the gorgeous boots on sale in the shoe department and was eyeing out a Dune pair when I decided to do a quick stroll through some of my fave sections – Lucky Brand, Tom Tailor, Salsa, Mango to name a few – and lo and behold there it was – my leather jacket!
In fact there were a few differnt style options on the rail, and when I looked around further I found even more – almost every department from Penny C, Kelso, Free2BU, Topshop, Salsa all stocked their own version of this fashion cult classic! Here are a few of the ones I spotted….
This wardrobe staple comes in such a multitude of designs that there really is something for everyone’s tastes! Be it embellished or plain, black, tan or brightly coloured, real or fake – the possibilites are endless!
As you can tell by the multitude of options available on the shelves of just one Edgars store a leather (or leather-look) biker jacket is an essential item for winter 2014 and it will also be a great piece to make the transition into springtime as it looks great paired with the usual suspects of jeans or leggings as it does over a floral dress or sweet short skirt!
Here are a few tips on how to wear a leather biker jacket
- Black is the classic colour for this jacket but you can just as easily select one in a colour that suits you.
- Other great colour options are dark grey, mushroom, forest green, navy, tan or blonde/ cream.
- Spend time selecting the right jacket to suit your shape, esp if you are busty!
- Keep the cut quite fitted, but make sure you can still do the zip up. You might not wear it closed but you don’t want masses of extra fabric flapping around you.
- It’s the texture of the leather that gives this item its edge. Use it to the best advantage by wearing it with something in a contrasting texture. Think cashmere jerseys, cottons, silks, chiffon. Mixing three different textures in one outfit really does give an outfit life.
- The contrast between a tough biker jacket and feminine floral frock or long maxi dress always works well.
- Layer your leather jacket over a hoodie for a casual, cool look.
- Have fun with your shoes – this jacket works just as well with high-top sneakers as it does with boots and stiletto heels!
- Leather jackets are designed to be worn open so go for a neckline that opens and falls easily.
- Keep accessories feminine. A leather jacket is all about adding a masculine element to your outfit so contrast that with a pretty necklace or earrings.
The leather jacket can come in a number of different styles:
Biker: usually features zipper detailing, metal hardware, and an asymmetric front, looks amazing with jeans.
Cropped: great for showing off high-waisted silhouettes, easily balances out a full circle skirt, baggier styles work better with slim trousers.
Draped: has an open front and longer draped lengths at the front, this style jacket should be made from softer, thinner, and more pliable leather, look great worn with bodycon dresses for a stylish nighttime look.
Tailored: a single breasted blazer is a chic choice, great for accentuating the figure, looks great with tux style pants and stilettos for a chic evening look.
Here are a few of my favourite celebs rocking a leather biker jacket for some inspiration!
And the queen of leather biker jackets seems to be one of my favourite Celeb Mom Style Icons – the very lovely and stylish, Jessica Alba. This post could just have featured pics of her various ensembles and it would have been a very good education on how to style your leather jacket! Take it away Jessica…
For more inspiration you might like to visit this very awesome Leather Jackets Pinterest board which features not only celebs but other super stylish street fashionistas. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – Pinterest is my stylist!
As you can see it’s such a versatile item to have in your wardrobe… and if you choose wisely (eg. a flattering cut, good quality, not too many “trendy” details) it’s sure to be an item you’ll keep forever!
And now the moment you’ve all been scrolling for…. what do I look like rocking my very own Black Leather Biker Jacket??
I selected a collarless one from Tom Tailor which retails for R1399, at that price it’s not genuine leather but it’s still a rather good quality one. Unfortunately my budget didn’t stretch as far as the genuine one which cost R3599!
The other amazing bonus is that if you are quick enough and head down to your nearest Edgars store between 17 and 20 July (that’s this Sunday) you could save a massive 40% off any purchases you make over the value of R2000 on Lucky Brand, Tom Tailor, Salsa and One Green Elephant – a funky denim label with influences from Japan.