One of our favourite small towns in the Western Cape is Stanford. There is just something really special about this spot that keeps drawing us back again, and again.
Find out all about the best things to do in Stanford (even with kids!) below…
1. Visit the most delightful family-orientated Klein River Cheese Farm which allows one to enjoy a selection of the best cheeses as you make up your own picnic in their deli. The Klein River Cheese Farm is a celebration of family, nature and cheese! They offer the most delightful deli where one can select the items for your own tailor-made picnic or order their fabulous cheese platters. They also offer special small baskets for kids which we found were the perfect mix of picnic goodness for them. Rustic basket in hand you can enjoy selecting your perfect picnic spot on the rolling laws, under the shade of a tree or select one of the tables in the delightful children’s playground. The playground offers children a wonder world of climbing apparatus, ramps for motorbikes, swings and climbing walls- all perfectly positioned to keep energetic kids occupied for a good few hours while parents can relax and breathe in the country lifestyle. There are also small brown bags of animal food on offer for R5 and our kids loved feeding the local pig population, greeting the two friendly donkeys and admiring the sweetest fluffy rabbits and love birds in the aviary.
Older kids will be intrigued by the wide variety of cheese on offer and our oldest enjoyed tasting each type and giving us his foodie opinion – they have a very informative board up in the deli which makes it easy for choosing which piece of goodness you would like to try next! Be warned – you will find it really hard to leave this slice of cheese farm heaven! One consolation is that you can stock up on their cheeses before you leave and take a block (or five!) of their artisan goodness home with you!
Read about our previous visit to this lovely farm here.
2. Hike to the rock paintings in a cave at nearby Phillipskop Estate which is just a short drive away and on arrival you will be rewarded by the sweeping views back over greater Stanford countryside. This estate boasts something really special – a short, flat manageable hike through stunning fynbos, a brief scramble on a steep path takes you to an amazing little cave set in the mountain side – with a views back down the valley and historical rock paintings to marvel over!
These paintings were only recently discovered and are very rare specimens in the Overberg area. Our kids managed the hike and loved the thrill of following the map and then ‘finding’ the paintings. We loved imagining who the people were who painted them and the light drizzle only added to the feeling of adventure! The type of adventure that we are sure Bear Grylls would approve of!
Entrance is just R40 an adult and R20 per child which is paid at reception or placed in their honesty box.
3. Ferry cruises on the Klein River Lagoon are also a really special activity for families to enjoy together and there are a few local operators such as the Lady Stanford River Cruises Company. Read our review of the Lady Stanford River Cruises here.
5. Visit the beaches and enjoy the stunning sea views from De Kelders or Gansbaai. You might even be lucky enough to spot of of the first whales arriving for whaling season.
6. Take a wander around Stanford Village. This lovely historical town boasts an array of quaint little buildings, old cottages, picturesque gardens and a healthy smattering of gift stores and antique shops to tickle your fancy. Stops by the Tourism Centre just to the lift half way down the main street and you can pick up a little town guide for R10 which is a lovely way to learn a little more about the town. Our kids enjoyed using the map to guide as along our short walk into a few of the little village stores, a small historical blurb about a few, a quick stop at the old church and then free play at the jungle gym on the central green. Make sure you round of your stroll with refreshments at one of the quaint coffee shops!
8. Stroll along the Wandelpad. This is a pretty path that runs along the edge of the Kleine Rivier. Read more about it in this post.
9. Enjoy lunch and wine tasting at the stunning Stanford Hills Wine Estate. There is ample space for kids to run and play, as well as a lovely kids play area with plenty of activities to keep them busy while you relax.
10. Go horse-riding with the African Horse Company conveniently situated on the Stanford Hills Wine Estate. The horses are really calm and most responsive to the wonderful guide. There are stunning views and this is certainly an experience you and your kids will not want to pass up.
We love Stanford and keep returning again and again.
Read all the reviews about accommodation we have stayed at in Stanford here:
Bookmark this post to come back to it by pinning it to Pinterest