Our favourite local holiday is a trip down the Garden Route and we inevitably end up staying in Plettenberg Bay or surrounds. Over the years we have enjoyed wonderful family holidays and made so many special memories. Here is a list of our best things to do with kids in the Plett area.
Best things to do in Plett with kids
1. Go hiking. Towards Robberg Peninsula there are a number of walks which are also perfect to enjoy on a cooler day. Guided hikes can be booked through Ingwe Forest Cabins & Adventures Tel: 044 534 8218.
2. Fishing trips are also offered where all equipment is provided and one can enjoy the knowledge of a local fisherman! This can also be booked with through Ingwe Forest Cabins & Adventures. Tel: 044 534 8218.
3. Monkey about with a visit to Monkeyland where the guided one hour trail through indigenous forest allows you to lap up the autumn colours and enjoy the magic of the dampened wooded terrain. At Monkeyland we learnt all about the 8 different species of monkey that call it home. We enjoyed viewing these fascinating creatures as we made our way down the winding trails and enjoy crossing over the river on the swing bridge. We found the small handbook valuable in both spotting them and identifying each different one.
4. Experience paradise at Birds of Eden. We visited Birds of Eden on a morning with clear autumn skies. Many of the birds were very active and we were lucky enough to spot probably over 60 different species using our handy Birds of Eden guide which is available at the curio shop. You are able to walk through this birders paradise at your own pace which meant that we had time to really soak in the beauty of the birds, their habits and habitat. Our highlights included a hungry Blue Macaw, delightful pink flamingoes, spotting the Knysna Lourie and the brightly coloured Asian pheasants on the forest floor! It really is a treat for the senses. The little restaurant located in the center of the garden was the perfect pit stop for weary legs and their offering of easy light lunches and milkshakes with edible straws for the kids were a real hit! We also enjoy observing the water bird life from this look out- stunning swans, many ducks and little black coots!
5. Experience farm life at Nature’s Way Farm Stall situated in the Crags area is a small working dairy which is the perfect stop off to purchase some tasty basked good and fresh milk from the cows! Our kids always love the family friendly atmosphere at this spot. Our children particularly love this Garden Route gem as they can brush the goats and help the workers with milking the cows- make sure you are there over milking time!
6. Take to the trails at Hog Hollow Horse Trails comes highly recommended for those who enjoy taking in nature on horseback!
7. Go wild. Plettenberg Bay Game Reserve offers guided game drives and their stunning scenery situated in the mountains above Plettenberg Bay offer sweeping views and an African safari experience. Jukani Wildlife Center also offers viewing of big cats which can be a thrilling experience for many!
8. Go paddling. Take a canoe trip on the Keurbooms River.
9. Visit one of the many wine estates. Read more about my previous visit to the Plett Wine Route.
10. Visit the beach! Plettenberg Bay lagoon and beaches are perfect place to get out and enjoy the seaside. With a jacket and bare feet we enjoyed some sandcastle building, a brisk walk and then relaxed at the Look Out Deck This iconic restaurant offer pub style meals and one can enjoy the sweeping views across the stunning beach and lagoon from your table. Main Beach Plettenberg Bay also offers a lovely spot from which to enjoy some coffee or a walk. Natures Valley is also located within a short drive and we adventured out on a drizzly afternoon and found that a swim in the warm waters of the lagoon to be a perfect way to spend our time! The drive to the beach is in fact an outing in itself, the stunning views of forests from the road are breathtaking!
So there you have our 10 favourite things to do in Plett with kids. What else would you add to this list?? Tell us in the comments below…