So today is V Day – yes Valentines Day is upon us….
Once you’ve decided on your outfit – the perfect combo of sexy and classy, affordable and elegant, there’s still hair, nails and make-up to sort out so I thought I would share with you some top beauty tips for Valentines Day – some tips to inspire your beauty look whether you’re heading out on a hot date with an internet hook-up, a romantic evening with a long-time love or a night in on the couch with a slab of fancy chocolate and some bubbles to share (guess which option is my Valentines Day date!)
I have rounded up a few things with which to complete your look and make sure you are as gorgeous as can be on this day of love!
1. Exfoliate your entire body for super soft, sexy skin! Scrub away old skin using a body brush or sponge or use a gentle body exfoliator like Sorbet’s Apricot Scrub. Your beautifully buffed body will reveal gorgeous glowing skin!
2. De-fuzz your legs and bikini area using Veet’s hair removal cream, wax strips or cream to get silky smooth skin. Nothing gives a girl more confidence than knowing she is hair-free and soft to the touch!
3. Moisturise from top to toe with a subtly scented body cream paying special attention to the parts of your body that will be exposed by your outfit eg your upper arms, back, legs. I’ve been loving the Oh Lief range of body moisturisers and oils as there is a texture suitable for every skin and taste and their natural ingredients and scents are stunning!
4. Apply some self tan for a gorgeous glowing body. The bonus of self tan is that it not only makes you look tanned, but it makes you appear slimmer and therefore feel more confident about yourself too!! And we all know that confidence = sexy! I love the The Tan Lab’s Hydration Everyday self tan product which gives skin a luminous sheen.
5. To get a gorgeous inner glow, start with a mild exfoliator, like Daily Microfoliant from Dermalogica followed by your usual cleanser. If you have time apply a mask to brighten your skin and boost it’s moisture levels! I’ve been using the Placecol Optimum Hydro Mask to hydrate and soothe my skin. Then apply a moisturiser and don’t forget the sunscreen! My faves at the moment are Dermalogica’s Intensive Moisture Balance and Juliette Armand SunFilm SPF30. And if you have a few more wrinkles than you’d like to display why not try Lancome’s Visionnaire Advanced Skin Corrector to disguise pores, wrinkles and create a more even skin!
6. Wear your hair in a natural style that won’t keep you fussing all night long. If you have long hair create wispy soft waves using a straightener or curling iron ala Blake Lively. You could also opt for a high bun or up-do to expose your neck or a pretty bohemian braid (again think Blake!). I use the ghd V Gold straightener. If you have short hair – Go for a sexy, sleek look or a sweet pixie cut. Think Emma Watson! And try to keep hair products to a minimum!
7. Use hair oil as a treatment on your hair for healthy, shiny, smooth hair. There are so many other benefits to this wonder product. If you’re not convinced about adding oil to your hair read my article on the Benefits of using Hair Oil. I love Moroccan Oil but you can also use coconut oil.
8. Nail polish is a quick and inexpensive way to add some fun to your look. Be spontaneous with your nails by adding a red heart on your ring finger over a subtle pink undercoat or be bolder with red and white polka dot nails. For a pretty pale pink I adore Mademoiselle by essie, the red I use is Estee Lauder’s Red Tango and for white I love Revlon’s Sure Thing.
9. Subtle make-up is key to complete your look whether you’re heading out for a romantic day or night. It is easy to under- or over-do it when it comes to make-up, the best thing is to start slowly. For the day, go for a fresh minimalistic look, by simply using your favourite foundation such as Revlon’s Colorstay Whipped Creme Makeup for 24 hour coverage and a light peach blush like Elizabeth Arden’s Beautiful Color Radiance Blush in Sweet Peach. Keep lips light and natural with a nude lipgloss like L’oreal’s Color Extraordinaire Liquid Lipstick in Nude Ballet. Keep the focus on your eyes with plenty of black mascara. Maybelline’s Rocket mascara is awesome.
10. For your evening look, switch the focus to your lips! And for Valentines Day it can’t be anything other than red! Dark red lipstick definitely adds “wow” factor to any look, find your perfect red with L’oreal’s limited edition range of Pur Rouge lipsticks all chosen and named after the gorgeous L’oreal spokeswomen! I love Blake’s and Liya’s, but try them all to find the one that suits you best! For evening, blusher needs to be a little darker so try L’oreal’s Le Blush in Candy Cane Pink. Be seductive this Valentine’s Day with mysterious, smoky eyes using GOSH’s Volumateur Waterproof Volume Mascara in Black and add some sexy liquid liner with L’oreal’s amazing Super Liner So Couture liquid liner pen for a super fine feline flick!