Schools are out, but the reality is that the holidays are short! We have the perfect idea for your stay-cation. Maximize the holidays and reconnect with your children by taking them on a trip to the top of Table Mountain.
This mountain stands tall above our everyday activities and it was really wonderful to absorb the breath-taking views from the top and to gain some perspective on life up above the clouds, the business of our stunning city and of course to take a break from our regular comings and goings!
And what a breath of fresh air it was- we spent the morning enjoying our cable car ride up to the top. The awesome views from the rotating carriage were phenomenal- we could see far across to the Hottentot Holland Mountains, Robben Island, Signal Hill and Lion’s Head. We do suggest you keep an eye on the weather camera to make sure you pick a clear day and of course make sure you are aware of the wind predictions as the cable car does not operate in adverse weather for safety reasons.
On top we enjoyed the views as we followed the map (provided) and enjoyed the many look out points as we spotted a few landmarks and enjoyed taking in the sweeping scenery and brilliant blue of the ocean below us! Most fascinating to us was that we could even spot Kommetjie Lighthouse!
Whether you’re looking for an fun holiday treat for the kids or are visitors to the Cape we wholeheartedly recommend this as a must do on your itinerary.
We really enjoyed our stop at the Table Mountain Café which is situated right on top of the mountain. Offering sweeping views and the perfect offering of coffee, snacks and some sweet treat to refuel, this was a welcome stop for weary legs and chilly bones! They are offering a yummy Kidz Season Café deal for mini-Cableway explorers for just R55. Hungry little adventure-seekers can enjoy a slice of tasty Dassie pizza, a glass of fruit juice and a dried fruit roll. Other treats for youngsters include something sweet when they hand in their voucher at both the Shop at the Top and the Café.
Top 10 tips for visiting Table Mountain with kids
- Make sure you arrive early! The lines can get terribly long and the worst for little ones is waiting in a queue. So plan ahead and get up early!
- Pack warm tops even if it is a hot day. You will be surprised how chilly it can get on top, even on a sunny day! Remember that you really are high up!
- Keep your eye an weather predictions and pick a clear, windless day.
- Take along water and some snacks or purchase these at the cafe on top. Our kids needs to snack constantly so we did both!
- Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Take your camera or make sure your phone battery is charge – there are so many wonderful photo opportunities!
- Follow the rules of the mountain and respect the facilities effort in keeping you safe by keeping behind barriers, refrain from climbing on the walls. Do not pick fauna and do not feed any animals or birds.
- Be prepared for this outing to take the most part of your morning. Do not plan anything else too close as often things can take longer than planned!
- Prepare yourself to feel like a tourist! We enjoyed chatting to so many visitors from all over the world! What a great experience for our kids!
- Go during Kidz Season. Families can enjoy taking advantage of their Kidz Season special which runs just until the end of September. Two kids (ages 4 – 17) ride for free with an adult who has purchased a Kidz Season adult return ticket online or from the Lower Cable Station. On adult ticket is R290. This offer is available from 26 April to 30 September 2019, 7 days a week. This deal is for South Africans only (An SA ID is required when purchasing the Kidz Season package online or at the Cableway Ticket Office). Tickets purchased online are for use on selected visit date only and are valid for 7 days from the selected date (or unless otherwise stated). Tickets purchased at the Ticket Office may only be used on the date it is purchased.
Contact Table Mountain
Images: Emma Reid