As part of our path to living in a more conscious way, we’ve implemented certain routines and habits into our daily life over the past few years…
- We recently started eating less meat and more vegetables
- We are avid recyclers and composters
- We choose natural and organic cleaning products wherever possible
- We try to buy items that don’t have too much packaging
- We aim to reuse items once we have them in our home
- We pass on clothes we’ve outgrown or items we no longer use rather than throwing them away
- We choose to use glass instead of plastic to avoid BPA
Here are a few ideas on why glass is the answer!
The Benefits of Glass
- Glass is one of the healthiest packaging and the only packaging with proven health benefits. It’s BPA free and is free of contaminants and doesn’t leach harmful chemicals into the food or water.
- As a 100% recyclable material, glass is infinitely reusable and recyclable meaning that it can be used over and over again in various versions of itself.
- An incredibly versatile medium, glass is strong and durable, resistant to heat, light and pressure
- Made from all natural substances, glass is completely inert thereby preserving the shelf life of its contents for longer. Food and drink kept in glass jars does not change in flavour or quality as glass preserves true flavours and freshness.
- You can store just about anything in glass, trusting that the integrity, nutritional value and health of the product will remain intact; making it a great way to store spices, dry goods and other pantry supplies in your kitchen.
- Glass is one of the most affordable ways to package products, so if you are in the business of catering or run your own home enterprise you will know that glass preserves the goodness, enjoyment and splendour that is homemade food.
- Glass is a timeless medium. I still have a few Consol glass jars that belonged to my granny sitting in my pantry cupboard from almost 20 years ago and they are still going strong! The beauty of buying glass is that it can last a lifetime. It does not deteriorate, corrode, stain or fade and is always stylish.
- Using glass when hosting a party or event always looks stylish and sophisticated and adds an element of class to an occasion. Turn a glass jar into an atrium, a vase, a table centerpiece, or a candle holder.
- Glass is a simply beautiful home decor item. The clean lines of glass always look fresh, while glass is certainly the very best way to display a bunch of your favourite blooms.
- A beautiful glass jar filled with something handmade and heartfelt is the ideal gift especially when it comes to festive gifting for teacher, neighbours, assistants. Think baked goods, pretty plants, sweet treats, stationary supplies, flowers. The options are endless…
If you don’t yet have a few of Consol Glass’s award winning Solar Jars you’ll want to change that soon! We have 4 and use ours so often… not just during load-shedding! They have come in really handy for camping trips and as extra mood lighting on our patio while entertaining in the evening. We’ll also be using them as wedding decor (along with plenty of other Consol jars) in the family wedding we’re hosting at our home next month! I think they’ll make a pretty way to light up the garden pathway the bridal couple will walk down to their wedding reception dinner, don’t you??
Glass products will crack if exposed to extreme heat or cold and should not therefore be stored in a freezer, nor heated in an oven or in a microwave – unless the tag/packaging states otherwise. Consol bottles and jars are dishwasher safe but cleaning with abrasives should be avoided. They are not suitable for carbonated products either.