On a recent shopping trip to Edgars to stock up on some fashion items for winter I came across the most amazing plaid (check) shirt on the Lucky Brand rails – a brand I was introduced to via their amazing jeans a few months back.
This American brand is the embodiment of “All American” cool and casual style. I’m totally loving them at the moment and it’s fast becoming my first stop when looking for laid back, weekend style that’s comfortable AND fashionable.
A plaid shirt was not actually on my list at first but after wandering through the various different brands on the floor at Edgars I realised quite quickly that plaid or check shirts are most definitely a trend for the colder months, almost every brand within the store had one or more on their rails!
Here are a few of the ones I spotted….
As you can see from my quick pics there are a multitude of different plaid shirts available in various styles, colours and prices! The plaid shirt I loved the most happened to be one of the more expensive ones around at R799 but the fabric, cut and colours were so “me” that I knew I had to have it – it was literally love at first sight – and when that (very occasionally) happens with an item of clothing I know I can’t go wrong!
After I got home with my super soft, beautifully tailored purchase I did a bit of research as to how to style the item via my favourite “stylist” – Pinterest!
And it seems I’m onto a good thing here with my selection of plaid as a trend for the season as there were so many options of how to wear it and what to style it with – with jeans or leggings, under chunky knits, parka jackets or grey cardigans and worn open over graphic tee’s, buttoned up with jeans or tied around your waist. So many options – this is definitely an essential item for winter 2014!
Here are some tips for how to wear a plaid shirt
- Select one with colours that suit you (and that you love).
- Choose one with a dominant cool or warm colour scheme, depending on your complexion.
- Decide if you want to go for a look that is oversized or fitted and choose the cut accordingly.
- If you’re wearing an oversized “boyfriend” style shirt then always pair with skinny bottoms such as jeans, leggings or opaque tights with a short skirt.
- Tuck in the shirt and wear a leather belt for a sleeker, more sophisticated look.
- A plaid shirt can look quite masculine so find ways to make it more feminine such as heels or jewellery (but always keep accessories simple as the checks are already quite “busy”) or leave the top two or three buttons undone for a sexy sliver of skin.
Here are a few of my favourite celebs wearing the plaid shirt their own way…. some great inspiration!
As you can see the plaid shirt is a fashion classic – even Audrey Hepburn wore one way back in the 50s so it’s sure to be an item you’ll keep forever!
And now the moment you’ve all been scrolling for…. what shirt did I select??
My new fashion favourite… My plaid shirt from Lucky Brand paired with my favouite pair of Lucky Brand jeans – the Cate Stacked skinny!