So today I am officially MIDDLE AGED – yes it’s my birthday and I’m half way through my “three score years and 10” which makes me 35…. it’s pretty much all downhill from here folks! I can’t cope!
At least the lovely Abigail K captured me looking OK for 35 just last month in her #CTConfidence campaign and I’m so appreciative as it means I can look back on this photo when I hit 70 and appreciate my 35 year old self! I’ve realised in my 35 years here on earth thus far that we rarely really appreciate our current selves do we? I mean I would give ANYTHING to have my 18 year old self’s boobs right now! Someone should’ve told me that back then… oh wait… I think they did but I was too hungup on the parts of me I didn’t like to notice!!!
I’m usually someone who loves birthdays, but this year I’ve kept it decidely low key… to be honest the day kinda crept up on me after our recent flurry of trips during the school holidays and before I knew it I didn’t have any time on either of the weekends before or after to get together with my girlfriends. Sob. Maybe I’ll get my act together and plan a belated birthday tea party….
At least I managed a family gathering on Sunday and tonight I’m heading out for a date night with a difference… We’re off to watch my sister-in-law strut her stuff in the muscial West Side Story which is on at the Artscape Theatre for one month only. I’m super excited.
Anyway, to celebrate this rather frightening number of my mid-life, I’ve made a two fun lists of 35 things…
35 things I’m done so far
- Went on a blind date
- Married an amazing man (at 21)
- Had his babies x 2
- Survived the pain of infertility for almost 18 months
- Gave birth without pain meds, TWICE
- Fought my fear of medical stuff and overcame it!
- Got my driver’s – first time!
- Bought my first car and paid it off
- Lived & worked overseas (2 years in London & Kent in the UK)
- Ate my way through Italy – gelato, pizza, pasta, vino, mozarella, pesto, prosciutto – take me back!
- Watched the moon rise over the Mediterranean in picturesque Positano
- Climbed to the top of the Eiffel Tower
- Drank Guiness in Dublin
- Had a white Christmas in Scotland
- Pigged out on chocolate in Bruges
- Retraced my roots to the Isle of Wight and discovered the British countryside – Cambridge, Oxford, Stonehenge, Bath, Brighton etc
- Seen my 5 favourite bands in concert – U2, John Mayer, Kings of Leon, Sting & Dave Matthews Band…. oh and One Direction 😉 (haha my husband is cringing right now!)
- Explored Stone Town in Zanzibar
- Scuba dived – and lived to tell the tale
- Travelled alone
- Conquered my fear of heights by doing the craziest zipline EVER
- Introduced my kids to the wonders of the African Bush
- Instituted an annual family holiday down the Garden Route
- Discovered my style
- Learnt to snow ski and then tackled a red run before I knew what it meant….
- Found my signature scent
- Worked out which hair colour suits me best – honey blonde highlights seems to garner the most compliments (thanks Style Bar!)
- Led a women’s bible study group
- Made amazing friends and maintained them for years, and more to come
- Gone camping and actually loved it…
- Been a cricket scorer
- Discovered the power of forgiveness and the the release of “letting go” (sing it with me!)
- Participated in the Olympics, twice, –> ok it was only the Blog Olympics, but it counts!
- Started a new career after being out of the working world for almost 10 years.
- Created this blog 😉
35 things I still want to do (I predict this is going to be mostly travel!)
- Renovate our house!! I’ve been patient for 14 years –> it’s time!
- Get a degree – probably a BA in English, but I’m not sure if it’s entirely neccessary now that I’m doing what I love anyway!
- Glide in a hot air balloon over the Serengeti
- Ride the Rovos Rail or Blue Train
- Take an overland trip through Africa
- Write a book – isn’t this on everyone’s list?
- Print out my photos from the past 5 years – shocking!!
- See the Northern Lights
- Meander through a market in Marrakesh, Morocco
- Take the kids to Disneyland
- Visit my family in Australia, and the US
- New York!!
- Pick lavender in Provence
- Cruise from Croatia to Turkey to Greece with no deadlines or return date in mind
- Walk in the footsteps of Jesus in Jerusalem
- Learn how to paint my nails WITHOUT getting polish on my fingers
- Watch Taylor Swift in concert – Golden Circle obvs!
- Have a great relationship with my kids all their lives – even those terrible teens – this includes their spouses
- See my kids succeed each in their own way – picking the best career, choosing a great spouse, becoming loving parents, doing what they love!
- Save enough to retire comfortably
- Paint more
- Read more
- Pray more
- Wear sunscreen EVERYDAY – no skipping
- Learn how to apply eyeshadow, properly
- Swim with dolphins
- Be a better listener
- Invest in my girlfriends and share more with them – time, love, heart to hearts, life
- Age gracefully – with lots of laughter lines and less frown lines!
- Blog full time, well I am doing that already for someone else so I guess I’m halfway there
- Own a little cottage in Greyton with enough space to host friends and family every weekend
- Tell more people about how Jesus is the answer – whatever the question.
- Celebrate my Golden (50th) wedding anniversary. It’s do-able. I’ll be 71. Brad 74!
- Be a great granny! and a Great-Granny 😉
- Leave a legacy of kindness, compassion, joy, generosity, warmth and love (and little bit of chutzpah too!)
So there you have it folks.
Here’s to 35 amazing years and another 35, or a few extra if I’m lucky!
Pic of Kathryn – Abigail K Photography
Number, Candles & Sparkler – Pixabay