Loot.co.za, one of my favourite online stores in SA, recently celebrated their 10th birthday and to mark the occasion invited me (along with my kids) to join a few other top parenting bloggers (plus 2 food bloggers) to take part in a Birthday Bake Off using the various equipment and gourmet food items available to purchase via Loot.co.za.
The idea was to bring our mini ‘masterchefs’ along with us to enjoy a morning of fun with food… and the excitement in our house was palpable when the most enthusiastic among us was up and dressed at 5am! Each family was to make and decorate a chocolate cake using the supplied recipe and ingredients. The foodies were having their own face off and I was grateful I was not competing against them esp when I discovered that our baking skills were going to judged by the Head Pastry Chef from the Mount Nelson Hotel, Vicky Gurovich!
Fortunately the recipe was a fairly simple one – and I handed over much of the responsibility to my team mates! I highly recommend this easy Moist Chocolate Cake & Ganache recipe! SO YUM!
Moist Chocolate Cake
Cocoa powder (35ml)
bicarbonate of soda (2ml)
Baking powder (5ml)
vanilla essence (2.5ml)
Boiling water (185ml)
• Place all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl add all the wet ingredients mix to form a batter with a whisk, don’t beat just stir to incorporate.
• Place in a large cake tin with a hole in the center.
• Bake at 180C for 50 minutes.
• When it comes out the oven de-mould and wrap in cling film to keep the cake moist.
• Ice with Chocolate Ganache
500 g Cream
550 g Chocolate
150 g Butter
90 g Glucose
• Bring the cream and the glucose up to the boil.
• Allow to cool to 85 C, add to blitzed chocolate.
• Blitz until smooth, add the butter, mix until all the butter is incorporated
Here is a short video and a few more pics of our experience….
My kids and I had a really lovely morning – lots of laughs and licks of chocolate were enjoyed by us all! After the bake off we were able to share our cake creations over candles and the singing of Happy Birthday with the children and moms from St Anne’s Children’s Home in Woodstock – a haven for destitute, abused and disadvantaged mothers and their children. Loot also donated a generous box filled to the brim with books & games for the children to enjoy.
You’ll be pleased to know that Loot have generously offered me R400 in gift vouchers to give away to one lucky reader
THIS COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED