Whenever one reads a list of The Key Capsule Wardrobe Items to invest in The White Shirt is inevitable at the very top and for good reason! It’s such a classic fashion staple that works with almost every other item – from jeans, and black cigarette pants to skirts of every length. It’s even been known to make an appearance on the red carpet occassionally!
I love a crisp white shirt and although I’ve had a few in my wardrobe for the past few years I recently invested in another one. Why? Well, because the style of this purchase is more casual than the other rather smart “office” style shirts I own…. And well, you can never have enough!
Trends come and go, but the versatility of the classic white button-down is for ever. It makes the perfect blank slate and can be dressed up or down. This most versatile of wardrobe staples is especially great for more “mature” women as the sharp lines of the crisp collar give added definition to the jaw and frame the face beautifully.
An added bonus for wearers of white is that a white shirt bounces light upwards brightening the complexion and the eyes, just as so many “age-defying” serums claim to do! It’s a great piece for all seasons. In summer it’s great because light colours deflect the sun, so a light cotton white shirt can help you keep you cool and in winter it can be layered beautifully under a jersey or a blazer to keep the cold at bay.
Wear a white shirt in a multitude of ways — tucked, untucked, wrapped, layered, unbuttoned, buttoned-up, sleeves rolled up. No matter how you style it, a white shirt will always look good!
So here are some of my top tips on How to Wear a White Shirt…
1. Pair it with denim jeans – there is little that doesn’t work with a pair of jeans and the white button down shirt is no exception. The pairing is clean and fresh – whatever your age!
image via The Fashionista Next Door
2. Wear it with a pair of sneaks for a super sporty look on the weekend. Add a peak cap and you’ll look casual and chic.
image via Merrick’s Art
3. Keep warm this winter by using your white shirt as a layer to depth to your outfit. Think thin, warm layers like cashmere jerseys or the classic trench coat. Allow your cuffs and collar and even the shirt tails to stick to out and add interest to your look.
image via M Loves M
4. Wear your white shirt with a skirt – ballgown or mini or somewhere in between a tucked in white shirt will work perfectly with the femine lines of any style skirt.
image via Hallie Daily
5. Have fun with accessories that pop when next to the classic white. Think studded leather jacket, leopard print bag or red statement heels.
image via Mimi Ikonn
And just because I love getting outfit inspiration from my favourite celebs on Pinterest, I pulled together a few more ideas of ways to wear a white shirt courtesy of the likes of Audrey, Angelina, Cameron, Eva, Marilyn and my go-to girl for glamorous everyday style, Jessica Alba!
Which is your favourite look? Do you own a white shirt? And how do you style it usually? Please leave a comment below to let me know.
And since you asked… I’ve been loving this latest addition to my wardrobe from Tom Tailor at Canal Walk. Within a few short weeks it’s become one of my new favourite pieces. I love it’s versatility and the super soft fabric which makes me feel amazing when I wear it. It’s both feminine and a little bit cool and edgy. (R659.95)
Images: Pinterest and as indicated