I recently shared my new obsession with all things Hygge and introduced my brand new series for winter: Hygge your Home
Today I’m continuing on the topic by sharing one of the most essential elements of Hygge:…
Why Candles are so Important to Hygge
Candles are one of the most important aspects of creating a Hyggeligt atmosphere and the Danes (where Hygge originates) burn the most candles per capita in the world!
In Danish they are called “levende lys” which means “living light” and perfectly describes candles.
Candles provide warm, natural light that is far more pleasing to our eyes than artificial electric light bulbs, harsh strip lights & spot lights which are far too common in offices & homes these days. Electric lights are not cosy. They burn too brightly or are the wrong colour (blue or white light). A simple way to deal with this is by using candles….
Meik Wiking (one of the main experts on Hygge and author of The Little Book of Hygge) calls candles “instant hygge” making candles an essential aspect of a Hyggelig evening.
To create a Hygge atmosphere with candles in your own home position them in groups of 3–5 so they form pools of natural light around the living room or light one scented candle in a corner of a room to add a gorgeous dose of Hygge to any home.
I’m a big fan of burning scented candles in my home as they are relatively easy and inexpensive way to transform a living space.
Today I thought I’d share with you some of my personal favourite scented candles…
Best Scented Candles to Create A Hygge Home
Crabtree & Evelyn do everything they do with such quality and their amazing new scented candle range is no exception. This range of scented candles provides a scented candle for every room of the house to complement the activity that takes place in that space.
For instance the kitchen candle has a scent that masks the smell of cooking while stimulating hunger, the the hallway has been paired with a fruity candle of cassis, blackberry, rhubarb and Mediterranean lemon, to enhance a warm welcome. Whereas the bedroom has been matched with the aromas of pink pepper, cinnamon leaf and iris, for a dreamy atmosphere.
My scent of choice from the selection was Memories Made – the lounge fragrance. This subtle scent has elements of Spring – newly opened bouquets of white Lilac flowers, light aquatic notes, crisp apple scents, scattered rain showers and dewy grass, all add to the joyful mood this scent evokes.
This luxurious poured candle has a unique fragrant energy that inspires movie nights in, hangouts on the couch and spontaneous gatherings.
The new British Modern Home Collection of scents from Crabtree & Evelyn also comes in diffuser form..
Burn in: The Lounge
For those who prefer to steer clear of the sweet floral scents Safari Days from Cape Island is a gorgeous alternative…
A South African range of scented candles made up of 10% soy and 90% paraffin, these candles are packaged beautifully in a gold embossed box and priced really competitively.
Safari Days is a tribute to the natural beauty of the African Bushveld and features spicy patchouli combined with a woody earthiness and a hint of wild sage.
This is a mature, masculine scent that is perfect for burning in the study to encourage focus or in the dining room to stimulate great conversation.
A wonderful gift for giving a dinner party hostess, a teacher or as a thank you when staying with friends… even better if they live abroad and would love to once more smell Africa!
Burn in: The Dining Room or Study or Entrance Hall
For a fresh scent that evokes the sea The Foundry Marine candle will be a great choice. Made using the finest fragranced oil the candles are hand poured using the finest quality natural wax blend.
The candle has a clean, uplifting ocean scent that speaks of bracing walks on a windy beach, swirling salty sea air and spray.
This fresh fragrance combines notes of citrus and sea air with green florals and sea moss that will conjure up the freshness of the ocean making this the perfect candle to burn in the bathroom.
Burn in: The Bathroom
Burn time: 45 hours
The super fun Cowshed range of body and bath products have recently launched in South Africa and I was recently invited to their gorgeous launch (more of that here)
Their range of products have fabulous names such as Grumpy Cow and Moody Cow to reflect the ingredients they contain (said to change your state of body, and mind!)
I walked away with a Horny Cow scented candle which is the “mood” for the amorously-inclined!
Featuring a seductive blend of Rose Absolute, Patchouli, Vanilla & Cinnamon, this scent is ideal to burn in the bedroom to make you irresistible and your partner “burn” with passion!
A 100% natural soy wax, environmentally-friendly candle that is suitable for vegetarians, this is a spicy floriental fragrance that will help to create a romantic atmosphere with its’ seductive, sophisticated scent.
Burn in: The Bedroom
Burn time: 60 hours
Size: 230g / 250ml
I featured this stunning Sisley scented candle on my blog a few months back but it’s such a favourite I had to mention it again…
Inspired by Madame Isabelle d’Ornano’s rose garden, the co-founder of Sisley, the Rose candle from this luxurious French beauty house reveals a botanical freshness and elegance that imbues a room with an intense scent to create a unique atmosphere. It’s intoxicating scent evokes the exotic fragrance of freshly picked roses… elegant, floral, fruity with warm accents and a citrus top note that gives way to a floral heart. Amber, musk and sandalwood make up the base.
Presented in a heavy Indian-pink lacquered matt glass jar that echoes the petals of Izia’s roses, the Rose candle reveals a sunshine yellow paraffin wax heart that recalls the golden heart of this precious flower.
When it comes to glamour the Sisley Rose Candle is certainly in a league of its’ own…
Burn in: The Bedroom
Burn time: 45 hours
Tips for getting the most usage out of your scented candle
- When using for the first time burn the candle 1 hour for every 2cm in diameter to establish a burn pool and to prevent the candle burning straight down the middle of the candle drowning the wick. All burns after that should be long enough to keep the size of the burn pool. To align the wax level, allow the candle to burn for several hours, without exceeding 4 hours.
- For optimum use, check that the wick is always vertical and centered when lighting.
- Always keep wick trimmed (trimming is best done before and during burning) and clear away wick debris each time. If the candle smokes or is the wick drops in the wax, carefully cut the wick at 1cm after allowing the wax to cool.
- Never burn your candle right to the bottom or glass container will crack. Extinguish the candle about 2 cm from the bottom
- Burn candles in a well-ventilated room. Never leave unattended while burning.
- Never extinguish with liquid. Avoid hot wax spattering by holding your finger in front of the flame whilst blowing, the air will then go around your finger and extinguish
the flame on both sides. Only move candle once extinguished and cool.
- Store candles in a cool, dry place, preferably flat to prevent warping and out of direct sunlight or harsh indoor lighting, as this can cause fading. Dust, fingerprints and any dirt that has gathered on your candle, can be removed by gently rubbing the surface with a piece of nylon or a damp soft cloth. To tackle tougher stains, such as wax drippings, run hot water over the surface to soften the wax and scrape to remove excess residue.
- Ensure you check any instructions that are provided with each specific candle to achieve the best results
A scented candle is an exquisite gift for someone special… but it’s equally a special, indulgent gift that you can give yourself!
Lighting a favourite scented candle every evening is a surefire way to create a beautiful atmosphere in your home.
Which is your favourite scented candle to burn in your own Hygge home? Let me know in the comments below…