You’ve no doubt heard the water cooler (Or wine cooler! Because, #MomLife) whisperings about the most anticipated shopping event of the year. The question on everyone’s lips, when is Black Friday in South Africa?
The sales extravaganza reaches fever pitch on Friday 23rd November, before winding down over the weekend to Cyber Monday.
With already limited time at your disposal, knowing where to snap up the best deals can be a daunting task.
That’s why I’ve compiled this list of the top Black Friday sales in South Africa for you and your family, with a few Black Friday baby deals you won’t want to miss.
Best Black Friday Deals For Moms and Families
Best Black Friday Baby Deals
Whether you are looking for daily essentials, school supplies, or baby gear, Black Friday deals are a welcomed opportunity to save a few rands for use elsewhere. And the thrill of shopping some pretty incredible sales is rather appealing too!
Another great thing about Black Friday is that you can skip the chaos and the queues, while shopping in the comfort of your own home!
Keep an eye on the Clicks Black Friday Facebook event for an exclusive sneak peek of upcoming offers. Save up to 30% on baby deals online at Clicks between 16 to 22 November, with specials arriving in-store from 23 to 25 November. While you are at it, it couldn’t hurt to take advantage of the 40% to 70% off on beauty, household, electrictronics and more.
One for the whole family, keep a lookout as Dischem announces its upcoming offers, both in-store and online in the lead up to Black Friday. Don’t forget that not only can you purchase vitamins, toiletries,and household supplies, but there is a great range of electronics, cosmetics and gift sets to choose from. Perfect for Black Friday baby stuff and nabbing a few early Christmas presents too.
This South African household favourite promises great Black Friday offers! As well as a perfect opportunity to stock up on essentials from stationery and educational toys, to electronics, children’s books and gifting supplies. Sign up early to be the first in the know.
You can never have enough stationery and gifting supplies, especially as we approach the biggest gift giving season of the year! Check out their placemats, jars and Christmas themed drawstring bags too. If you are based in Durban, head over to Cool Creations for the big Black Friday factory sale. Not to worry if you can’t make it in, online shoppers will receive a discount of 25% on selected items.
Toys R Us
Shop from a carefully curated selection of top toys for all ages. Let a plush new Care Bear or LEGO set entertain your little one for a few hours this festive season, because what mom couldn’t use a little more ‘me time’? Follow the ToysRUS Black Friday Facebook event for more info.
If you are based in Johannesburg and you’re on the lookout for high quality Black Friday baby stroller deals, the search is finally over! Head on over to the Babybuggz Facebook page for more information on where to pick up their best baby Black Friday deals. You’ll need to head in store for this one.
Babies R Us
Looking for Black Friday diaper deals? From strollers to baby clothes, car seats and cots, Babies R Us may just be your first point of call, come November 23rd. Watch their Black Friday Facebook event page carefully as this international baby brand gears up for the release of just about everything a Mom could need.
Best Black Friday Deals For Moms
With your time, money and attention focussed on the needs of your kids all the time, it can be hard to shift attention to yourself occasionally, but Black Friday is the perfect opportunity to spoil yourself!
Here are a few of the best websites offering Black Friday deals for moms…
With the merging of Spree and Superbalist, you’re in for a double whammy. Stay ahead of the game and sign up now to receive early bird previews, or download the Superbalist app for additional app-exclusive deals. As an existing Spree customer there’s also no need to create a new online account either, just log in to the site with your current details.
Probably the most highly anticipated sale of them all! Not only for the best baby Black Friday deals but much, much more. With an excess of 10 000 specials ready to go live later this month offering as much as 60% off, put the black friday baby sales on hold for just a moment while you indulge in a ‘gift to self’ or two. In fact, Takealot is the ultimate Black Friday mecca for the whole family offering the best Black Friday deals on TVs, gaming consoles, cellphones and fragrances.
Zando promises that you won’t find your must-haves cheaper anywhere else this Black Friday. If your wardrobe could use a festive season update, or if you’ve been eyeing out some of the latest trends, be sure to pay Zando a visit.
Poetry’s Black Friday offers are worth the wait! Without giving too much away, I can share that they have included a collection of Summer favourites ranging from fashion and accessories to fabulous gifting ideas. As if that isn’t enough, they have extended their Black Friday offers to run for the full weekend! Get a sneak peek at their offers before the rest by signing up to the Poetry newsletter
‘Are you a 23rdian?’ If not, pay a visit to this well kept secret and collaborative space to local craftsmen and designers. Showcasing the best Africa has to offer, you undoubtedly will find something super special for yourself, your home or your significant other. The best part? When the compliments start rolling in, you’ll have an anecdote to share of where each proudly African piece came from. Black Friday South Africa here we come!
Now most moms I know love a glass (or two) of wine so I’m sure you’ll be pleased to hear that you could save up to 58% on wine, beers and spirits with Cybercellar from Monday 19 November to Black Friday on 23 November 2018. Each day will have a different deal that will only be live for 24 hours! If you want to be the first to know about these deals? Sign up to their mailing list and they will mail you the deals as soon as they go live. Also keep an eye on the Cybercellar countdown clock by visiting the Black Friday Cybercellar page.
Loot has announced that it will be offering some teaser deals in the run-up to the biggest shopping day on the online shopping calendar with thousands of deals with up to 65% off during Loots Black Friday 2018 sale. These deals will be across various categories including electronics, computers, cell phones, toys, outdoor, books, gaming and will feature pop-up shops with partners. The teaser deals daily will run from 19 – 22 November and the main Black Friday sale will run from 23 – 26 November.
For deals you can’t ignore, head over to Edgars and snap up a few treats for yourself, your home or for the family. This sale speaks for itself really!
Domestic Flights South Africa
The reality is that many families are split up over the festive season in South Africa, and it’s not always possible to just jump on a flight to be with loved one’s locally or abroad That’s all about to change, as Domestic Flights South Africa will be having an unbelievable blowout sale on both local and international flights aboard well-love airlines like Mango and FlySafair. Bookmark this one for sure.
Be sure to save some of your travel budget for Black Friday. Just like in previous years, Travelstart is going to have some insane domestic and international flights on offer over their Black Friday promotional period!
RoomsForAfrica will be offering R300 off any booking on any of the 12 000 properties listed on their site. Book your holiday during the Black Friday weekend of 23 – 25 November 2018 using the unique code: BF2018 and receive R300 off your stay at over 12 000 hotels, holiday homes, B&B’s, chalets… and every other type of accommodation you can think of! PLUS they’ll be sending out another amazing list of UNBEATABLE discounted deals on Thursday with over 100 great getaways. Use your Black Friday voucher code and receive a further discount of R300 on these properties to get HUGE savings! To read more click here!
Book your car rental with JustCarHire on Black Friday and they will cover your excess.
JustCarHire offers exclusive additional insurance to refund your excess payment which you may incur when renting a car. Book on Black Friday and this insurance excess cover including windscreen and tyres is on them!
Faithful to Nature
In the spirit of doing things a little differently, South Africa’s favourite online health shop Faithful to Nature will be hosting their Black5Day sale from 19 to 23 November. Save between 40% and 50% daily as new specials are released over the five day sale. The best part? A portion of proceeds will be donated to the Endangered Wildlife Trust to assist in the conservation of threatened species in South Africa. So do good for yourself, your family and for the Earth!
Tips for getting the best Black Friday online deals
To get the most from the Black Friday online deals in South Africa, pre-shopping strategizing goes a long way.
Due to the huge volume of traffic flooding into the online stores on the day, the last thing you want to deal with is a lengthy check-out process or missing a deal.
Black Friday online shopping tips
- Have a plan. Know what you want, need and can afford before you get enticed by offers in front of you.
- Set a budget. Decide beforehand what you plan to spend on the Black Friday sales and stick to it. Don’t get swept up. It’s always best to buy things that you actually had planned on buying anyway!
- Do your research and find out ahead who usually offers the best price for your item. “Like” the Facebook pages and Twitter feeds of all your favourite retailers (I’ve listed a few of these above!) and keep an eye on their flyers, newsletters and websites for previews of the bargains they may be offering. From early November, retailers will start releasing their Black Friday weekend specials. Start planning as early as possible and create a plan of action.
- Login and create a profile with your payment details beforehand, for easy checkout.
- Check your details. If you already have a profile make sure your delivery and credit card details are up-to-date. If you are shopping online, you won’t want to be messing around updating details as everyone around you is checking out what should have been your goods.
- Create a wishlist, or add to cart so you can check out asap (Keep in mind that your cart may be cleared at midnight). The prices may vary on goods for Black Friday, but the goods will already be there. Go online, make your wish list in advance and then, when the sale begins, go to your list, see which items are marked down enough and press ‘checkout’ to beat your shopping competitors to the bargain.
- Get there first!! Set your alarm for 11:30pm the night before as many sales start as the clock strikes 12. Get into bed early and set a few alarms. By the time the rest of the world wakes up you would have done your shopping!
- Avoid tech mishaps. Charge your phone to make sure you have 100% battery life. Make sure you have data and your Wi-Fi is not past its cap!
- Download the app. This will allow you to have a look at their specials much faster and they will also send you push notifications of the big discounts to keep an eye out for. Also, some retailers offer app-only deals.
- Create a Black Friday Dream Team. You and your friends can help each other out on Black Friday. Decide amongst you who will be hitting up each site handle the buying for everyone on it.
- Choose a secure way to pay. Credit card payments that ask you for a supplementary one-time PIN, such as Verified by Visa, Snapscan and PayPal, are all good options.
- Returns policy research? Check in advance what the return policy is. Most outlets, both online and physical, will accept returns for Black Friday purchases, but this is not guaranteed. Check out the terms and conditions in advance to make sure that any purchases made ‘in the moment’ can be returned.
- Trust trustworthy sites only! Buy only from reputable retailers so you can be sure you will receive authentic products.
Ready, Set, Go!
Whether you want to stock up early on your Christmas presents, take advantage of specials on high-ticket items or purchase a guilt-free gift for yourself, there really is something for everyone this Black Friday 2018 South Africa.
And if you know of any other awesome sites offering Black Friday specials please do let me know so I can add them to this list!