A few weeks ago I was invited to spend a morning with Clicks finding out more about their new Smartlife appliances and Smartbite convenience foods… and I was blown away!
Firstly, the Smartlife range of kitchen products is amazing!
There are both electrical and non-electrical appliances in the range from the awesome Super Blender (similar to the Nutribullet), to the Vegetable Spiraliser, Food Dehydrator and Yoghurt Maker plus loads more convenient plastic containers, lunch boxes and water bottles.
The range is really well priced too with the Super Blender costing R899 (literally 1/3 of the costs of it’s competitor which costs R2199!) and the Vegetable Spiraliser R289!
With the Smartlife electrical range, you can prepare healthy drinks, healthy snacks, blend, dehydrate and process foods to ensure none of those beneficial nutrients get lost in the process.
Then the range of convenience and health foods in the Smartbite range is extensive… from chia seeds to cranberries, chickpeas to cous cous, coconut oil to cashew nuts not forgetting the fabulous range of premixes for making healthy seed loaves, chocolate brownies or granola. The food team at Clicks have literally thought of everything, for everyone, as many of the products are “banting” friendly, low GI or gluten free. The range also falls under Clicks’ very popular 3 for 2 special making it a real win if you plan to stock your pantry… 3 products for the price of 2. What’s not to love!?
On the morning we took part in a cook off and had to prepare a few different dishes using the various products from the range – both appliances and food.
The recipes we tried were great, healthy dishes and I thought I’d share two of them here to inspire you to try something new… and so that I have easy access to them again as I definitely hope to be making these in my new kitchen soon!
Most of the ingredients and appliances needed for these two delicious dishes are available at Clicks!
Zesty Basil & Couscous Salad
- 200g Smartbite Foods couscous
- 2 large carrots
- 1 Israeli cucumber
- 50g fresh basil
- 1 clove garlie
- 80g Smartbite Foods cashews/ macadamia nuts
- 50g Smartbite Foods almonds
- 60ml Smartbite Foods Flaxseed oil
- 2 spoons Smartbite Foods coconut oil
- 50g Smartbite Foods pumpkin seeds
- 2 spoons Smartbite Foods apple cider vinegar
- 200g Danish Feta cheese
- Place couscous in a bowl and fill with boiling water covering couscous to 2mm above surface. Cover with a plate and leave to set.
- Spiralise your carrots and cucumber with the Smartlife Vegetable Spiral Slicer and chop through with a knife to separate lengths.
- Blend the basil, nuts, garlic and coconut oil in the Smartlife Super Blender using the milling blade. Blend until the nuts are chopped coarse and blended with the basil. Unscrew your blade and dd the flaxseed oil, apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper. Blend again until all combined and smooth. Taste and season accordingly.
- Check your couscous and add the pesto mixture, fluff and mix with a fork making sure to incorporate the pesto through the couscous.
- Chop the almonds into pieces and mix with the seeds.
- Over a medium heat, gently toast the nuts and seeds until just brown, careful not to let them burn.
- Add your couscous to your spiralised vegetables and mix together well.
- Top with crumbled Danish feta cheese and the toasted seeds and nuts and serve.
Sun Dried Zucchini Pasta
- 500g large zucchini
- 100g Smartbite Foods raw cashews
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 200g sundried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 spoons Smartbite Foods coconut oil
- 2 spoons Smartbite Foods cashew nut butter
- 80ml Smartbite Foods flax seed oil
- Smartbite Foods Himalayan salt
- Black pepper
- 100g Smartbite Foods mixed seeds
- 1 clove garlic
- In a small saucepan, add the cashew nuts to 250ml of water and bring to the boil. (Leave to boil with the lid on while prepping the other ingredients)
- Fry your onions and sundried tomatoes in a spoon of coconut oil until soft and onions are translucent, season with Himalayan salt.
- Turn off heat and add cashew nut butter to the pan, stirring well.
- Empty the pan’s contents into a large Smartlife Super Blender jug.
- Spiralise your zucchinis and keep the centre pieces aside. Place zucchini noodles in a colader and place on top of the boiling cashews.
- Finely slice and halve the zucchini centres and add to the pan, add the seeds and coconut oil and fry until zucchini pieces are crispy.
- Drain your cashews and add to your Smartlife Super Blender jug with the sundried tomatoes, onions and cashew butter. Season with Himalayan salt and pepper.
- Add 50ml of fresh water, Flaxseed oil and blend until smooth. (Add more water if you prefer a runnier sauce).
- Serve your warmed zucchini noodles topped with pasta sauce and sprinkled with crispy zucchini bites and toasted seeds. (If you are a cheese fan, grate some pecorino or parmesan over the top for extra flavour).
The good news is that I have an amazing Smartlife and Smartbite hamper from Clicks to giveaway. The hamper contains the following products: Vegetable Spiraliser, water infuser, yoghurt cup, coconut flour, coconut oil, flax seed oil, seed crackers premix, cinnamon & tumeric mix, seed & almond loaf premix and Himalayan coarse crystal salt.
Here’s a quick video to show you how easy it is to use the Vegetable Spiraliser (which might be yours soon!)
If you’d like to WIN a hamper containing the products listed above, enter your details in the form below…