During this extreme heat wave we are currently experiencing in Cape Town I thought it would be a good idea to share some spots where you can cool down (which don’t involve getting wet!) Most Sunday afternoons when the kids are getting cranky and the parents cabin feverish we head off on a drive with no destination in mind – although that would be a lie because there is always a final destination – an ice cream shop!! Over the past few years we have frequented almost every ice cream shop in Cape Town and love discovering new ones too… My personal favourites are Italian Gelati as it reminds me of my wonderful trips to Italy where I treated myself to one daily (OK well on the odd occasion that might have been twice daily…)
Here are my Top 10 Ice Cream Shops in Cape Town:
1. The Ice Cafe is located on Main Road, Kalk Bay and is a typical Olde Worlde style ice cream parlour. The variety of flavours is unique and extensive. My favourite (when it’s available) is Rosewater Sorbet! YUM. Tel: +27 (0)21 788 4816
2. Sinnful Ice Cream Emporium has branches located in Muizenberg and Camps Bay and is a great spot to pop into if you want to enjoy a scenic walk with your ice cream. The branches are both located within a few minutes walk of world famous beaches! Muizenberg is great for a mid-morning treat while Camps Bay is lovely later in the day – time it to coincide with watching a sunset! The Camps Bay branch is tucked away up some stairs and behind a few other shops in The Promenade Centre on Victoria Road. Tel: +27 (0)21 438 3541
3. Tino’s is a great Italian Restaurant located in Steenberg Village, Tokai. Pop in for a perfect pizza and follow it with a delicious ice cream made in the traditional Italian way. This is a great spot to pop in to if you are needing an ice cream fix later in the evening!! Tel: +27 (0)21 701 3589
4. Caffe San Marco is a familiar name in ice creams and has been since I was a child. I remember visiting the Sea Point branch many years ago. These days you can find them at the V&A Waterfront just off the flag pole piazza outside the main entrance to the shopping mall. This is a great spot to park off on a bench with your ice cream and watch the workings of the waterfront take place around you. If you position yourself carefully you can enjoy a wonderful view of Table Mountain too! Tel: +27 (0)21 418 5434
5. The Creamery is a handmade, organic (mostly) ice cream which is sold at the Neighbourgoods Market at the Biscuit Mill in Woodstock, Starlings Cafe Urban Farmers Market in Belvedere Road, Claremont on Wednesday afternoons and EarthFair Food Market in St George’s Mall on Thursday afternoons. How can you not love ice cream that’s good for you??? Tel: +27 (0)21 447 7690
6. Ice Dream is linked to Luigi’s Italian Restaurant in Hout Bay Main Road and it is a real Italian Gelateri with authentic Italian flavours and methods! Sit under the umbrellas while finishing your ice cream to avoid a mess in the car and enjoy watching all the characters who pop in and out on a Sunday afternoon! Tel: +27 (0)21 790 2496
7. Sorrento Trattoria is another Italian Restaurant that offers an array of gelato to go! Located in Westlake Business Park this is a good place to pop in to with kids in tow as it is located opposite a play park and there are plenty of outdoor tables for mom and dad to sit at while the kids run riot. Tel: +27 (0) 21 702 49034
8. Gelato Mania can be found on the main drag in Green Point. The varieties of flavours is endless (over 30) but the prices are somewhat scary!! This is a very popular place for a decadent treat. They even offer “healthy” alternatives which are made entirely from fruit. Keep your eyes out for specials on Groupon or the like which offer the opportunity to spoil yourself to one of the best ice creams in Cape Town without breaking a sweat! Tel: +27 (0)21 439 2074
9. An old favourite has to be the Soft Serve spot located on Fish Hoek Beach – Drifters Cafe – adjacent to the kids play area. A trip to Fish Hoek Beach is not complete without a softserve Choc99 or Vanilla Queen Cup! Take a walk along Jaguar walk and pick a bench to enjoy the views or sit with the sand beneath your toes – just don’t drop your cone as “sand” is not a good flavour! Tel: (0)21 782 3354
10. A recent discovery – in fact so new that I can’t recall the name – is a small little ice cream shop opposite Jubilee Square in Simonstown. They promised the best soft serve in Cape Town and they did not fail to deliver. I will be returning shortly… Enjoy a post-Boulders treat or make a special trip on your next free Sunday afternoon and explore Simonstown a bit – head across the Main Road and give Just Nuisance a pat and then stroll down the steps to walk along the harbour front. And when you do please send me the name and number so I can update this listing!!
There you have it, my Top 10 places to beat the heat with an ice cream treat! Hope you enjoy discovering them and trying out all the delicious flavours…. Be sure to let me know which is your favourite Ice Cream Shop and what flavour is top of your list? Mine always, always has to include some chocolate so I’m partial to Belgium Chocolate with Orange or Mint or Strawberry and sometimes just to be different Lemon Sorbet!
Another great spot for moms to know about is the Gatti Ice Cream Factory Shop where you can stock up on boxes of ice lollies at a steal (from as little as R20 for a box of 20!!) Great for parties, “baker man/ cookie day” at school or just to save your sanity on long, hot afternoon filled with whiny kids! Factory shops can be found around South Africa. For details visit the Gatti Website.
All together now: I scream, You scream, We all scream for Ice Cream!
Latest posts by Kathryn Rossiter (see all)
- What I… Hila from Project Hila - February 22, 2017
- My 5 Favourite Finds – February 2017 - February 21, 2017
- Weekend Wanderings: Asara Wine Estate, Stellenbosch - February 20, 2017